The Municipality of Ljubljana purchased Auersperg Palace to house the newly established City Museum of Ljubljana; its first collection was put on in one part of the building in 1937. In the following decades, the Museum shared the building with several other institutions.
The City Art Gallery of Ljubljana was set up.
The Bežigrad Gallery with premises at 31 Dunajska street was established. Since 1996, it has been operating as part of the City Art Gallery of Ljubljana.
In 2002, the Bežigrad Gallery 1 saw the addition of new gallery premises – the Bežigrad Gallery 2 at 3 Vodovodna street.
2000 to 2004
In this period, Auersperg Palace which is home to the City Museum of Ljubljana was thoroughly renovated.
A new institution was created, thereby bringing the City Museum of Ljubljana and the City Art Gallery of Ljubljana together, including all related locations.
The Tobačna 001 Cultural Centre, situated in the Tobačna City and incorporating both museal and gallery premises, joined the institution.
Plečnik house has been managed by the Museum and Galleries of Ljubljana. Plans for the future include implementation of a conservation-restoration project aiming at preserving Plečnik’s original arrangement. Apart from that, new museal contents will be added in that part of the house holding less significance in preservation terms.
In March, Galerija 001 (with an exhibition of the Belgian artist Jan Fabre) and the Tobacco Museum were officially opened. They are both located in the Tobačna 001 Cultural Centre.
The renovation of the Plečnik House is successfully completed.